Making a mail server on Linux powered machines may be probably the most important issues that each system administrator must do whereas configuring the servers for the primary time, in case you don’t know what it means; it’s easy, when you have a web site like “instance.com”, you possibly can create an electronic mail account like “[email protected]” to make use of it to ship/obtain emails simply as a substitute of utilizing companies like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and so on.
On this article, we’ll learn the way to take action by putting in the Postfix mail server with the “SquirrelMail” webmail utility and its dependencies on Debian 10/9 and Ubuntu 20.04/18.04/16.04 LTS releases.
Step 1: Putting in Apache2 and PHP7
1. To be able to create a operating mail server utilizing “SquirrelMail”, we’ll have to put in each Apache2 & PHP7 packages first, to take action, run.
$ sudo apt-get replace -y
$ sudo apt-get improve -y
$ sudo apt-get set up apache2 php7
$ sudo apt-get set up apache2 php
Set up Apache and PHP
Step 2: Putting in Postfix Mail Server
2. Postfix is a mail switch agent (MTA) which is the accountable software program for delivering & receiving emails, it’s important with the intention to create an entire mail server.
To put in it on Ubuntu/Debian and even Mint, run:
$ sudo apt-get set up postfix
Throughout set up, you’ll be requested to decide on the kind of mail configuration, select “Web Web site”.
Set up Postfix in Ubuntu
3. Now enter the absolutely certified area title that you just need to use for ship and obtain emails.
Set Postfix Mail Area
4. As soon as the FQDN set, you’ve to restart the Postfix mail server utilizing.
$ sudo systemctl restart postfix
$ sudo service postfix restart
Begin Postfix Mail Server in Ubuntu
Step 3: Putting in Dovecot
5. Dovecot is a mail supply agent (MDA), it delivers the emails from/to the mail server, to put in it, run the next command.
$ sudo apt-get set up dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d
Set up Dovecot in Ubuntu
6. Subsequent, restart the Dovecot service utilizing the next command.
$ sudo systemctl restart dovecot
$ sudo service dovecot restart
Begin Dovecot in Ubuntu
Step 4: Putting in SquirrelMail in Ubuntu
7. SquirrelMail is the e-mail server that you just’ll be utilizing to handle emails in your server, it has a easy net interface to do the job, it may be personalized by putting in extra modules & themes.
$ wget https://sourceforge.web/initiatives/squirrelmail/information/steady/1.4.22/squirrelmail-webmail-1.4.22.zip
$ unzip squirrelmail-webmail-1.4.22.zip
$ sudo mv squirrelmail-webmail-1.4.22 /var/www/html/
$ sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/html/squirrelmail-webmail-1.4.22/
$ sudo chmod 755 -R /var/www/html/squirrelmail-webmail-1.4.22/
$ sudo mv /var/www/html/squirrelmail-webmail-1.4.22/ /var/www/html/squirrelmail
8. After the set up, you’ll have to run this command with the intention to configure SquirrelMail.
$ sudo perl /var/www/html/squirrelmail/config/conf.pl
Configure Squirrelmail in Ubuntu
09. Subsequent, enter “2” with the intention to edit the server settings, and you’ll be prompted to it.
Squirrelmail Server Settings
10. Now enter “1” with the intention to change the area title and write up your area (e.g: tecmint.com).
Set Mail Area
11. Return to the primary menu by writing “R” and hitting the enter key, write “4” with the intention to configure the overall choices.
You see “Permit server-side sorting”? Enter “11” and alter it from “false” to “true” by getting into “y”. Now hit the Enter key, and enter the “S” key with the intention to save the configuration file.
Configure Basic Mail Choices
12. Now you can entry the mail server by going to area.com/squirrelmail.
Step 5: Creating Mail Customers
13. To be able to begin utilizing SquirrelMail webmail, you’ll need to create a brand new consumer, to take action, run.
$ sudo useradd myusername
Change “myusername” with the consumer title you need, create a password for the brand new consumer by operating.
$ sudo passwd myusername
14. Create a house folder for the consumer in /var/www/html/myusername and make it the default dwelling listing.
$ sudo mkdir -p /var/www/html/myusername
$ usermod -m -d /var/www/html/myusername myusername
15. Now return to the login web page and enter the consumer title and the password of the newly created consumer.
You may be stunned to see the next error message.
Login to Squirrelmail
That is only a drawback within the permissions, it’s a must to give the consumer “myusername” the entire permissions on its dwelling folder.
$ sudo chown -R myusername:myusername /var/www/html/myusername
16. As soon as permission set, it is best to in a position to login to SquirrelMail.
Squirrelmail Mail Interface
You’ll be able to attempt to ship electronic mail from it, or you possibly can attempt to obtain emails by sending it to “[email protected]”, don’t neglect to exchange “myusername” with the consumer title you created.
If you happen to confronted some other error… Simply test the “/var/log/mail.err” file, all of the error message will probably be saved there, you gained’t lose your approach 🙂
Have you ever tried to create an electronic mail server earlier than? How did it go? Have you ever used SquirrelMail or some other mail server earlier than? What do you consider it?
If You Respect What We Do Right here On TecMint, You Ought to Contemplate:
TecMint is the quickest rising and most trusted neighborhood website for any sort of Linux Articles, Guides and Books on the internet. Tens of millions of individuals go to TecMint! to go looking or browse the 1000’s of printed articles accessible FREELY to all.
If you happen to like what you might be studying, please think about shopping for us a espresso ( or 2 ) as a token of appreciation.
We’re grateful in your by no means ending help.
ubuntu 18.04 mail server,ubuntu 16.04 mail server,install postfix centos 7,unable to locate package squirrelmail,hostinger postfix,uninstall postfix,roundcube with postfix,beginners guide to postfix,postfix, dovecot centos7,squirrelmail install centos 7,digitalocean postfix ssl,ubuntu dovecot,install squirrelmail centos 8,squirrelmail redhat,webmail for sendmail,configure postfix with dovecot,squirrelmail apt get,install squirrelmail centos 7,postfix, dovecot centos 7,bind dns step by step,install dovecot,how to install mail in linux,exim mail server configuration in centos 7,squirrelmail download,squirrelmail install linux,squirrelmail admin panel,postfix mail server configuration in linux step by step,how to configure smtp server in linux step by step,postfix mail server configuration in linux step by step pdf,postfix mail server configuration in ubuntu step by step,ubuntu mail server,postfix squirrelmail ubuntu